Many Microsoft Windows and Office products will be losing support in 2017, so is it time for you to upgrade to the newest software?
Microsoft supports its products for long periods of time, but eventually, they finally do end all support for their older product lines. This lack of support can prove troublesome for people who are slow to adopt newer software products as their older software can quickly pass out of relevance once all support ceases. In 2017, Microsoft will be ending support (or already has ended) for many of its Windows and Office products. Depending on what you have on your machine, will you be left in the dust?
When support does finally end for all the slated products by October 2017, older Microsoft product users will face a few challenges:
- No More Updates - Once the extended support period ends, Microsoft will no longer send out patches and updates to keep the older versions of software maintained
- Security Risks - With no new security updates, older software will be subject to being hacked or being infected with malware or malicious viruses
- Obsolete Formats - If you want to send or receive files with others, you will not be able to read newer formats, nor will other be able to read your older formatting
- Compatibility Issues - You will not be able to use newer software or application types
To give you an idea of what will be losing support in 2017, take a look below:
Products no longer supported in 2017:
- Windows Vista - final security update was April 11, 2017
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2 - support ended January 10, 2017
Product support ending October 10, 2017:
- Microsoft Office 2007
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011
- Microsoft Word for Mac 2011
- Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011
- Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac 2011
- Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011
- 2007 Microsoft Office Servers
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0
- Microsoft Dynamics SL 7.0
- Microsoft Office Project 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Server 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Portfolio Server 2007
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio 2007
- Microsoft SharePoint Server 2007
Did you see software you are currently using on the list? If so, it may be time to consider an upgrade to more modern pastures. Windows 10 and Office 2016 offer the latest in features and capabilities from Microsoft, but if you truly want to never have to worry about losing support for your software, trading in perpetual software licenses for a pay-as-you-go option such as Office 365 is your best bet.
Office 365 allows users to receive all software updates, upgrades, and new features as they become available, ensuring you are never out of date again. Whether for home, school, or running a business, there is a flavor of Office 365 for you with a slew of features that exceed even the newer Office 2016.
Check out our stock of Office 365 to see the amount of features and tools you get for only a low monthly or annual cost.
For information on Microsoft, Office 365, or Windows 10, contact us today!